Selected road racing bicycles Online
Choosing the Best road racing bike is an important step in having fun participating in a road race. As a cycling enthusiast, I can say that road racing is among the most exciting and demanding cycling activities to be enjoyed out there.
While participating in a road race you are able to meet and mingle with other enthusiasts. Most importantly road racing offers cyclists a great way of enjoying the outdoors at a slower pace as compared to driving.
When trying to decide which is the best road racing bicycle from the extensive variety available. It is important to consider the type of road racing you intend to take part in. The variety includes:
- Pure road racing bicycles optimized for speed.
- Cyclo-cross country bicycles build to ride on all types of terrain.
- Mountain bicycles designed for more demanding terrain.
Road Racing Bicycle Types
If you are interested in road racing then some of the questions that will determine the best bike for you include:
- What is your budget?
- What is your current cycling style and which bike do you currently own?
- What is your preferred bicycle?
Once you have answered these questions you will need to use the information below to decide on the best bike to buy.
These bikes are specifically designed for speed and agility on the road. In this case the bike will have a light frame, thin tires and a frame design that supports the most aerodynamic seating position while racing.
Tip: Take your time to understand road bicycle racing
Road bicycle racing may seem like an elitist activity especially due to the complicated and specialized nature of bicycles used in the same. Take you time to understand it by researching materials and get to appreciate how interesting it can be.
Afterwards buying a road racing bicycle like the Schwinn Men’s Phocus 1400 Road Bike is a great way of easing yourself in and enjoying the learning process.
They also come with multiple gears for handling a varying landscape and lower handlebars that support the aerodynamic riding position.
Cyclo-cross bikes are a cross between road racing bikes and mountain bike. These bikes normally come optimized to move at high speeds on the road and maintain control and traction while on off-road terrain.
This calls for larger tires for better off-road capabilities, a streamlined design with low handlebars for faster flat surface riding and a higher cantilever to prevent any damage from rough off-road conditions.
Track bikes are designed for quicker speeds and faster acceleration. The bikes are slightly different from traditional road racing bicycles due to the fact that they normally do not have brakes. Their tires are also stiffer and narrower for faster acceleration.
Road racing bicycles should have the following key features:
Frame And Fork
Road racing bicycles are among the many engineering masterpieces in the world today. The frame and fork can be made of a variety of materials that give it its weight and strength. It is also important to note that the difference in frame design creates a difference in the performance of the entire bicycle as well.
To get more details on the bicycle frame check for the tubing decal normally placed on the down or seat tube.
- Steel – Steel is considered to be the traditional building material for bicycle frames. Steel tubing varies in design and can be used in different conditions depending on the riding style and needs. Steel alloys have been recognized as great bike building materials due to their exceptional assembly properties.
- Aluminum – As the most popular road bike building material, aluminum as cheaper than carbon fiber and offers a smooth ride. In most cases aluminum frames are paired with carbon fiber forks for better shock absorption.
- Carbon Fiber – Carbon fiber has better shock absorption capabilities than aluminum. This means it offers a more comfortable ride in comparison as well. The main let down is the higher price due to the labor intensive building process. It is however important to note that the performance of carbon fiber in creating a better ride also depends on the bike frame design.
- Titanium – This is the most expensive material used in the construction of bicycle frames. It tends to be stronger, lighter and more durable when compared to all the other materials. They also offer more comfortable rides as well. Titanium forks are usually rare due to the expensive nature of their production.
These are an essential part of road racing bicycles. The wheels tend to be larger than mountain biking wheels. They are also narrower for an aerodynamic shape and lighter weight. All these factors combined result into faster wheels.
The two different bicycle rim designs for road racing bicycles are box-section and aero-section. The main difference between these rims is that box section rims are rectangular while the aero section rims are triangular. These shapes have an effect on the riding comfort. Box section rims are usually better suited to providing a smooth ride on bumpy roads and accelerate quicker. On the other hand, aero section rims are much stiffer and their shape offers reduced wind drag. They are better suited to riding faster on smooth surfaces.
There is a wide variety of tires available for road racing bikes. The durability of tires is dependent on the cyclists riding style, whether placed in front or at the back or front and weight. The tire build affects the weight of the tire and hence the riding experience. The main influencing aspect here is the tire’s beads. This is the part that holds the tire to the rim. They can be made of Kevlar or wire. The former is lighter but more expensive.
Guide to Tire Sizes
Bicycle tires come in different sizes as depicted by their thickness. They include:
- 700 x 20c – Thin tires for lighter and faster racing. They are suited to lighter riders as well.
- 700 x 23c – Medium thickness for regular road racing.
- 700 x 25c – These tires Offer better shock absorption due to their thicker profile.
- 700 x 28c – These are long lasting as they are the thickest. They are suited to touring and commuting as they are heavier.
Tubular Or Tubeless Tires
Tubular tires are mainly preferred due to their round profile which offers smooth riding. They are lighter and hence suited to road racing. The main drawback here is that since they have a tube inside it can be difficult to replace the tube. Tubeless tires on the other hand tend to offer an improved ride quality. They however come with a special rim with built in Presta valves.
Road racing bikes are among the most advanced bicycle designs today. It is therefore no wonder that there are specific components designed for use on these bikes. Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo are the only manufacturers offering full sets of these components. The popular component Groups Include:
These component groups are designed to be used together in uniformity with regard to the manufacturer.
Road racing is a high octane sport that requires perfect shifting to keep you at the optimum speed. To this end Shimano has designed an electronic shifting mechanism for perfect shifting.
Sample Quality Road racing Bicycle Brands in the Market
Diamondback 2012 Podium 7 Road Racing Bicycle
This bike represents the highest level when it comes to road racing technology. It is designed to win races and nothing else. The main features include:
- It comes with a light weight sub 900 gram carbon fiber monocoque road racing frame.
- The fork is made using full strands of carbon for a sturdy design and smooth ride.
- The internal cabling is designed for both manual and electronic transmissions as well.
- The Campagnolo Super Record Group ensures a smooth shifting drivetrain front and rear.
- A finally Campagnolo brake pads are used on the Easton rims.
Litespeed C1/Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 Complete Bike
This road racing bike is testament to the advanced designs usually employed in road racing bike engineering.
- Each carbon wall is perfectly tuned for the best ride quality and stiffness as well. Every aspect of the frame is aerodynamically tuned including the water bottle mount!
- The bottom bracket is massive to offer the necessary strength to hold the entire frame together.
- It comes with tough Racing 3 wheels for extended service over numerous training sessions.
GMC Denali Pro Road Racing Bicycle
- This road racer comes with an aluminum frame for the lightest weight.
- A 21 speed Shimano Derailleur together with the Shimano Revo shifts mean that you will not have a problem shifting though gears over different terrain.
- The wheels are made up of high profile alloy Vitesse rims.
- The brakes are similarly impressive alloy brake levers and calipers.
Vilano FORZA 4.0 Aluminum Road Bike
Every road racing cyclist must start from somewhere, and the Vilano Forza 4.0 is a pocket friendly high performance starting point.
- It comes with a lightweight aluminum frame and a sturdy steel fork.
- It sports 24 speed Shimano Claris shifting mechanism.
- The free platform pedals come with toe straps to secure your feet to ensure you do not miss even one beat.
Where to Buy Road Racing Bicycles?
If you are interested in buying road racing bicycles you are invited to visit these trusted online stores:
Buying Road Racing Bicycles on eBay
Selected road racing bicycles on JensonUSA